Product & Program
I've managed a portfolio of products totaling over $10M in annual revenue, developed new products and programs from scratch and revamped and relaunched flagship products.
Design & Web
I've taught web design at New York University and my personal web projects have been featured in Wired, The Guardian, The Atlantic and The Verge.
I've contributed to The Guardian, Pitchfork, Gizmodo, MTV Hive and Stereogum and have been interviewed by Wired and Al Jazeera.
Senior Program Officer, Mozilla Foundation
2016 - Present
- Designed, built and managed the Mozilla Technology Fund (MTF), which provides funding and mentorship to open source maintainers building trustworthy AI technologies.
- Managed the Mozilla Open Source Support (MOSS) program, a fund which provided $2M in funding annually to open source technologists.
- Designed, launched and managed a $2M wireless innovation challenge in partnership with the National Science Foundation. Served as co-principal investigator on $2.5M NSF grant.
- Launched and managed the Open Internet Engineering (OIE) fellowship program, which funded network engineers in the Global South.
- Promoted Mozilla programs at conferences, in press interviews and via strategic partnerships and public events.
Product Manager, Engineering Courses
2014 - 2016
- Served as global product manager for General Assembly's web and mobile development courses, a $10M+ portfolio of products which were offered in 15 markets around the world.
- Oversaw the launch of the Android Development Immersive course in partnership with Google.
- Managed and refreshed Front-End Web Development, the company's most popular part-time course.
- Established and maintained partnerships with companies including Google, Facebook and GitHub.
New York University
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Computer Science
- Designed and taught "Introduction to Web Design and Computer Principles," an undergraduate computer science course that taught HTML, CSS, design and image manipulation for the web.
Software Development Fellow
GovLab, NYU Wagner
2013 - 2014
- Conducted research on how technology can empower citizens and re-shape governance.
- Helped design the curriculum and served as teaching assistant for Professor Beth Noveck's "Gov 3.0" class, which was simultaneously taught to NYU masters students and online learners around the globe.
- Helped design and scale the GovLab Academy platform and Gov 3.0 online mentoring and training program.
Outreach and Data Analysis Intern
2012 - 2013
- Worked part-time in the strategic outreach department, focusing on politics and causes.
- Analyzed large datasets using HiveQL and R to produce tables, lists and graphs of Tumblr user behavior.
- Designed official company blogs such as election.tumblr.com.
- Helped coordinate Tumblr’s coverage of the 2012 Presidential election.
- Wrote feature stories and performed interviews, both on and off camera, for Tumblr’s editorial department.
Director of Outreach and New Media
2010 - 2011
- Built and led the outreach team at an internationally visible, non-profit consumer advocacy group.
- Designed and executed online campaigns aimed at increasing public participation in policy proceedings.
- Curated, organized and produced the "World's Fair Use Day" 2010 and 2011 conferences.
- Spoke at a number of events including SXSW and authored opinion pieces for various publications including The Guardian.
2008 - 2010
- Researched, wrote and spoke about intellectual property, information and technology policy issues.
- Produced formal filings and comments that were submitted to Federal bureaus (FCC, FTC, NTIA).
- Contributed to Congressional testimony, online tutorials, research reports and grant proposals.
- Served as editor and project lead for a research paper on the topic of copyright filtering.
- Briefed policymakers, industry executives, technologists, creative professionals, journalists and representatives from other non-profits on policy issues.
Associate Managing Editor
2006 - 2008
- Wrote and edited daily publications which covered the IT and wireless industries.
Japan English and Teaching Program (JET)
Assistant Language Teacher
2005 - 2006
- Designed and taught English lessons to Japanese kindergarten, elementary and middle school students.
New York University
MPS, Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), 2013
University of Chicago
BA (with honors), East Asian Languages and Civilizations, 2005